Saturday, January 3, 2015

Turning Negatives into Positives

Well, 2015 is already off to a rough start. My grandmother passed away the night of January first. I felt so many emotions all at once. I was in shock she is actually gone from this world. I was mad that she had to pass on January first, the first day of new beginnings and starting over. I was enraged that the first page of my 365 page book has to read, "my grandmother died". I felt a rush of memories of her come over me; her soft skin, her smell, the way she called me "sweetie girl". All these things I would never experience again.

After being a hot crying mess all night, I woke up this morning feeling at peace. I could either let this destroy the rest of my year, or I can rise above the horrible feelings and celebrate this woman's amazing spirit. She lived to be 92 years old, such a blessing to live such a long and fulfilled life. Now every new year I can celebrate her life, and remind myself that she is watching over me. Her passing will remind me that life is not a promised thing. That every second you have on this Earth is a gift, a gift that you can choose to use wisely or waste away. Her passing has fulled me to go after my dreams and live every moment like it is my last.

Changing my perception of the situation has put me at peace. There is a silver lining to every situation, even though sometimes it can be hard to see at first. Promise me you'll always try to find the positive in a negative situation.

I also want to thank all the people who have reached out to me. I have some amazing family members, coworkers, and friends who put my family in their prayers. The amazing boy I'm dating took me out to In-n-Out (my favorite burgers), Fenton's ice cream parlor, and watched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion with me to get my mind off things. I am a very lucky girl.

Here's our yummy ice cream from Fenton's!  

And my beautiful grandma when she was 21! I absolutely love old pictures. 
                                   


Looking forward to a better 2015!
xo, Jenny Lynn





No comments:

Post a Comment